What HFL Thinks
Melco N1ZS MK2 - Streaming is a great way to access your music collection and Melco offer storage solutions that are designed to get the best performance from your music and HiFi system by designing their equipment using quality audiophile components that are not just for reading data, as a NAS drive, but to get the best sound quality, this is achieved by using quality power supplies and clever design as well as being able to connect it directly to your streamer or DAC cutting out the need to feed through a noisy router and with an ease of use, with no need for a computer. Melco really does make sense if you want the best.
Available in Silver or Black
Introducing the Melco Mk2 series
The Mk2 series is a development of the award winning Melco N1. The audio component designed to greatly improve sound quality for users of network streamers with a dedicated PLAYER Ethernet port - by isolating the Player from the network. This enables us to create an unmatched source component for USB-DACs, capable of supporting every Hi-Res audio format with conversion to match DAC capability. With the addition of extremely simple setup and use, including just a 2 click backup to external HDD.
The Mk2 further improves sound quality, especially for USB-DAC users. A dedicated Neutrik USB 2.0 port connects to the DAC for optimum sound quality on all models. Internally there are many detailed improvements to further reduce internal noise including a new capacitor bank to isolate the medical grade power supply, a new higher current 3 pole IEC connector with true ground, and a built in power supply noise filter.
Newly selected HDD with vibration isolating cradles ensure a new low level of vibration combined with capacity increase. – N1AH60/2 6TB total, N1ZH60/2 6TB total. N1ZS20/2 with Audio Grade SSD for outstanding performance is 2TB total.
The 1st Generation N1Z and N1A Series have achieved great success, changing NAS to a real "Music Library" - therefore MELCO N1 Series are both music store and UPnP server, and are also a source for a USB-DAC. MELCO N1 Series are highly appreciated by Hi-Fi magazine Journalists internationally. For example, MELCO won the Server of the year Hi-Fi Awards for 2016, HI-FI ChoIce RECOMMENDED in Hifi Choice Issue 397 2015, HIFICRITIC RECOMMENDED in HIFICRITIC 2015, AVforums RECOMMENDED AWARD in avforums 2015, Hi-Fi News EDITOR`S CHOICE in HI-FI NEWS both 2015 and 2016 , also MELCO N1A received The Absolute Sound Editor’s Choice Award for 2016 in US.
The Melco N1 series of products is the worlds first true Audiophile grade source component to access, store and deliver digital music without any of the compromises of computers and their peripherals. At any stage. this is Pure and Simple; even set-up is really easy. The Melco N1 is both a music store and UPnP server for Ethernet connected streaming solutions, a Direct Music download engine and is also an extraordinary source for a USB dac. Streaming services (e.g. Tidal and Qobuz) are integrated onboard. Due to the unique engineering and design, sound quality is unsurpassed! We are not suggesting you have been listening to The Beatle, Brahm or Taylor Slow before, but with the Melco nothing is missing, because there is nothing to take it away. There is even no need for a PC in order to setup or manage this system and not a single intervening switch or ‘IT’ component to come between you and your music.
Until now the only way of distributing, storing and listening to even the highest resolution digital music has, at some stage, involved computers or computer-derived devices – equipment designed to handle far more than music, so it has never been solely dedicated to sonic excellence. Even when players have been designed by “Audio Specialists”, old thinking and “IT” connectivity has impaired audio performance.
All that has changed.
- No PC required for either set-up or installation and no specialist knowledge required in any way.
- Simple set-up from OLED display.
- Specific DSM IP port for Ethernet Streamer/Player with separate LAN port for control and network.
- Automatically creates very simple robust network for streaming high resolution music and control.
- Simple power operation, normal ON/OFF switch. Just 5 seconds to power down and 15 seconds to be ready from switch on.
- Informative OLED display with just 4 navigation buttons, displays all relevant settings, connected devices, capacity, setup, format and current song playing.
- Simple Backup – music is secure with a USB connected Backup in a single button press.
- Simple Expansion – when the music collection out grows the internal storage capacity a USB drive connected to the Melco will extend capacity without any setup being needed.
- Simple music import from USB drive in just one button press.
- Simple CD Import from USB connected drive - add CDs to the Melco with bit-perfect quality and metadata. (*New May 2016*)
- Simple music download from High Resolution vendors direct to Melco without the need for a PC.
- Safe against power failure or unintended power down - Melco design protects against the loss of precious music files.
Melco N1Z/2 Hardware
Melco N1Z/2 is the flagship of the new Mk2 series. True audiophile source components designed for both Ethernet connected Players (Streamers) and for connection to a USB connected DAC. The N1Z/2 is constructed as a true Hi-Fi source component with heavy anodised aluminium chassis sections bead blasted to a delightful finish, and with an internal rigid H frame to isolate vibration and isolate the various sections of the hardware. Twin power supplies with additional capacitor banks with audio grade film capacitors isolate the HDD from the data processing, and multiple stages of noise reduction and isolation ensure the quietest possible environment for the sensitive electronics. A precision low jitter clock handles the data flow whether to the USB-DAC or the Ethernet player.
The drives are mounted on massive non-magnetic foundation plate, and the N1ZS20 uses 2nd generation SSD which is quite unlike IT SSD which seriously compromise sound quality. The SSDS are format as RAID 0 for optimum sound quality. The N1ZH has SFF drives – which are much less electrical noise than conventional 3.5 inch HDD. Operation of the N1Z is very convenient, with a dedicated Neutrik USB 2.0 port for a DAC, and then 3 USB 3.0 ports for Easy backup, Easy Expansion, Easy Import of CD or from USB drives, Easy Play without import from USB drives or CD loader so that a legacy CD collection can benefit from the latest DAC technology. All without ant require men for a PC or any IT type devices.
Constructed as a pure Audiophile Source Component
- Heavy aluminium extrusions, bead blasted to a beautiful anodised finish
- High stability noise eliminating H cross-frame construction for mechanical integrity
- Single press power button – same as Hi-Fi components and unlike any IT device
- Comfortable front panel buttons with positive click for easy operation
- OLED display to reduce internal noise
- Rear USB 3.0 ports – BACKUP, EXPANSION USB-DAC or Easy Import from Flash drive, CD drive or HDD
- 3 pole IEC mains inlet with true electrical ground to define source component as ground point, and internal power-line noise filter.
- TAOC vibration isolating feet
MELCO Direct Streaming Music + MELCO Ethernet Purifier
- Dual Ethernet ports - dedicated PLAYER port and LAN port
- Direct Mode allows N1 to connect to Player without any Router (Melco gives IP address to Player)
- RJ-45 with low noise light pipe LED indicators
- Micro miniature high performance network pulse transformers
- Audio grade ultra-low jitter internal data clock
- High data integrity and precision low jitter clock buffer
- FPGA voltage control system
MELCO Local USB-DAC Player
- Simply connect a USB-DAC to the connected port to use the N1Z/2 as Player and Transport
- Play Local stored music, Network music from UPnP player, Streaming Music (requires Android Tablet), USB Music and CD
- Control and music selection from the front panel OLED display
- Control from your favourite iOS or Android App
MELCO Clear and Dynamic Power Supply
- Low noise 30W x2 medical grade power supplies and capacitor banks with audio grade film capacitors
- Dedicated supply for SSD / HDD and signal processing electronics to isolate noise
- 3 pole IEC mains inlet with noise filters maintain a noise free environment. Signal ground terminal defines the N1Z as the system source
- Revised internal wiring harness and noise isolation
Internal Disk Drive
- N1ZS/2 – 2nd Generation Audio Grade SSD. Totally unlike IT drives - new NAND array audio dedicated controller
- Precision slow data writing and self-integrity check
- SSD is mounted on heavy non-magnetic foundation within an isolated compartment of the H frame and is powered by dedicated SHDD power supply
- N1ZH/2: large capacity SFF HDD (2 x 3TB RAID 0,1, Spanned)
- Latest low noise and low vibration SFF design
- HDD is mounted on heavy non-magnetic foundation within an isolated compartment of the H frame and is powered by dedicated SHDD power supply.
Support file (Server)
- DSF, DFF, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, AAC, MP3, WMA, OGG, LPCM
Support file (Player)
- DSF, DFF, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, AAC
Sampling rate (Server)
- 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176K, 192K, 384K, 2.8M, 5.6M, 11.3M
Sampling rate (Player)
- 44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176K, 192K, 384K, 2.8M, 5.6M, 11.3M
- 16-32bit (PCM), 1bit (DSD)
- Twonky Media Server
- LAN (1000BASE-T)
- Player (1000BASE-T)
- Backup (USB 3.0, rear panel)
- Expansion (USB 3.0, rear panel)
- USB3.0 (rear panel)
- USB-DAC (USB 2.0, rear panel)
- Dedicated ground terminal
Power supply unit
- Separated units
- 1. For Main Board Devices
- 2. For SATA Disk Devices
- 30 W x 2 with capacitor bank
- Thick aluminum case
- 350 x 75 x 370 mm (13.8 x 3.0 x 14.6 inches)
- 8.5kg (18.7 pounds)
Melco N1 and N1/2 are audiophile grade source components to access, store and deliver Hi-Res Digital Music without any of the compromises of computers and their peripherals. They are both music store and UPnP server for Ethernet connected streaming solutions, and are also a source for a USB connected DAC. When connected to an USB-DAC, the internal player can be controlled directly from the front panel as well as by network App. The USB-DAC player supports DSD as both DoP and as Markerless DSD (Not DoP). There is no need for a PC in order to setup or manage the system and there is no data switch or IT device in the signal path to come between you and your music.
Melco - Audio File Import
Direct Hi-Res Music Download
- Simply add your existing account ID and password on the front display, then purchase music on the vendor web site. The Melco will automatically download any pending music purchases and will also apply CRC check to ensure no data corruption.
- No need for a download computer with risk of data corruption and need to then move the music from the PC to the Melco.
- Download High-Res Music direct to Melco Digital Music Library.
- Current download partner:
HIGH RES AUDIO.COM (Germany): https://www.highresaudio.com/
Support for USB/CD/DVD/BD drives
Melco will import or play music from a USB connected optical drive.
Optical drive is automatically recognised - no setup or configuration.
- CD-DA/CD Extra/Mixed-Mode CD are supported.
- Gracenote Metadata and High Resolution Cover-Art
* Cover-Arts can't be copied/moved
- Support for DATA Disc
- Imported CD is automatically placed into import_CD folder for easy music management.
- Menu items allows for setting of CD loader offsets for bit perfect import.
- Compatible CD Drives
Other Drives may work with N1. Please check with your dealer.
- Compatible USB Drives
BUFFALO HD-PNF Series
Other USB 2.0/ 3.0 USB drives may work with N1. Please check with your dealer.
Melco - Direct Streaming Music
Unlike PC based systems, Melco has a dedicated PLAYER port. This allows connection directly to the network Streamer or Player without any data switch in the signal path which would damage the music data.
This direct connection concept we call Direct Streaming Music – DSM – and it is unique to Melco as in conjunction with the Ethernet purifier between the LAN and PLAYER ports DSM ensures that the Player receives only clean and accurate data, all packets are timed with low-jitter precision and all unwanted traffic is blocked. LAN lights can be disabled for highest possible data integrity.
There are two methods of operation – Network Mode is the default and allows a Tablet connected to the Wi-Fi to control the player as normal. But for ultra-pure music playback DIRECT MODE can be selected – in this case there is no need for any external Ethernet or IT components, and the Melco acts as DHCP server to the Player. Browsing and control is then from the player front panel.
Melco - Local USB-DAC Player
- The Local USB-DAC player can be used in the same manner as the Network Player. The Local USB-DAC player is simply controlled from a UPnP Control App on a Smartphone or Tablet on the network. The App discovers the N1 - DAC as a Digital Media Renderer or Player on the Network as soon as a DAC is connected to the N1.
- The N1 is connected to various Hi-Fi USB-DAC using a standard USB lead.
- The N1 Local USB-DAC Player supports PCM up to 384 kHz / 32 bit, and DSD up to 11.3 MHz Quad DSD.
- Automatic sample rate adjustment to match the capabilities of the connected DAC - e.g. 192 kHz is automatically downsampled to play on a 96 kHz capable DAC.
- Automatic conversion of DSD to 32 bit PCM for USB DAC that does not support DSD. (Manual setting in the Menu)
- The Playlist can be stored either on N1 (Mode 1) to allow the playlist to be maintained even if the App is out of contact, or the Playlist is stored on the App (Mode 0) when the App requires it. (Confirmed App: Kinsky, Bubble UPnP)
- The Melco Local USB-DAC player can be easily controlled by your favorite UPnP control Point (App).
- The Melco Local USB-DAC player will play Music stored on open shares on the Network in addition to music stored on the Melco.
- Gapless playback is supported. (WAV FLAC AIFF ALAC)
- Melco Direct Local Play - browse and play music directly from the front panel without any requirement for an App or Ethernet connection. Support Repeat and Shuffle playback.
- CD transport - A CD loaded into the optical drive offers choice to IMPORT or PLAY. Selecting PLAY - the N1 functions as a high-end CD player allowing use of the latest USB-DAC technology with control from the front panel and informative display on the front panel OELD. Support Repeat and Shuffle playback.
- [NEW] MELCO Markerless DSD Playback (Not DoP) - DSD file is played without PCM marking if the connected USB-DAC supports Markerless DSD playback.
"DSD over PCM priority mode" applies DoP playback even if a connected USB-DAC supports Markerless DSD playback.
Additionally, "Legacy" mode will work as previous firmware Ver 3.00-3.21 Local USB-DAC Player.
- [NEW]TIDAL/Qobuz support - play songs from streaming service on the connected USB-DAC.*
Compatible App to play from streaming service: Bubble UPnP (Android only), Kazoo, mconnect
Melco - Simplified Installation and Operation
- No PC required for setup and installation - no specialist knowledge needed.
- Pre-installed media server - no configuration required.
- Supports multiple specialised media servers - currently shipping with Twonky 7 with DSD support.
- Informative OLED front panel display - displays current streaming track data, system status, and setup.
- Simple menu navigation structure and track selection.
Melco - Support File Format
- Support file（LAN）:DSF, DFF, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, AAC, MP3, WMA, OGG, LPCM
- Support file（USB）:DSF, DFF, FLAC, WAV, ALAC, AIFF, AAC
- Sampling frequecy（LAN）:44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176K, 192K, 384K, 2.8M, 5.6M, 11.3M
- Sampling frequecy（USB）:44.1K, 48K, 88.2K, 96K, 176K, 192K, 384K, 2.8M, 5.6M, 11.3M
- *Support bit: 16-32bit(PCM), 1bit(DSD)
Melco, (Maki Electronic Laboratory Company), was established in Japan in 1975 by Makoto Maki, a passionate audiophile determined to create the finest, high-end components. His undoubted masterpiece was the groundbreaking modular Melco turntable that set new standards in music reproduction. From those early beginnings Melco became the largest computer peripherals manufacturer, Buffalo, offering technically advanced products based on rigorous R&D. These included Wireless routers, Ethernet Data Switches and storage devices.
Mr Maki personally initiated the current Melco Audiophile NAS project having identified serious shortcomings in the conventional IT industry solutions being used for hi-res audio at the highest level.