What HFL Thinks
SME Model 15 Turntable - It goes without saying that the pick-up arm on your turntable is a critical part to any vinyl replay system, it does such an important job and being able to set up your arm correctly is critical to getting the maximum sound quality from the grooves of your vinyl. SME are described as makers of the best pick-up arms in the world for very good reason, these are not just tone-arms but precision pieces of engineering allowing you to set up your arm and cartridge to get the best sound possible. Offering a wide range of alternatives there is something for everyone so please come in to HFL to experience an SME arm for yourself.
Model 15 is available in two formats:
MODEL 15 - £6178
Equipped for but not including SME precision pick-up-arm.
MODEL 15A - £8052
As above but complete with matching SME309 SPD precision pick-up-arm.
The Model 15 could be described as "the ultimate in recovery vehicles", allowing the cartridge to retrieve the last nth of recorded material whether digital or analogue, from the vinyl disc and thus approaches the ultimate in perfection. Receiving its inspiration from the superb Model 10 precision turntable the Model 15 seeks to emulate the excellence of our Models 20/3/& 30/2 turntable whilst retaining the more compact footprint preferred by many of our enthusiasts.
The Model 15 has been designed with the same attention to detail combined with simplicity of operation that has come to be expected from all SME products. Its superb performance together with laid back styling make it a glamourouse addition to your sound system that will astound and amaze listeners for many years to come.
- The model 15 sub-chassis is suspended on thirty purpose moulded 'O' rings and weighs, together with the platter, more than 11.0Kgs (24 Ib), thereby meeting the requirement of high density construction on which freedom from colouration depend.
- Suspension is adjustable through trimming screws in each column and is used in conjunction with a gauge to give recommended settings or varied to suit individual requirements.
- The suspension is further disciplined by a central fluid damper which controls the sub-chassis motion, offers a resistive ground path for acoustic signals, eliminates overshoot and gives almost zero 'Q' recovery.
- The platter is machined from aluminium alloy and weighs over 4.6kg (10 Lb). It is extensionally damped, the top surface being diamond-turned with a fine scroll. This methoc of finishing upsets a myriad of tiny fibres which interface with the underside of the record.
- A sustantial clamp operating on the reflex principle ensures the largest possible platter contact even appreciable record warp is present.
- The main spindle is 19mm (3/4") machined from high chrome tool steel, ground super finished and supported in a sealed housing with individually fitted sintered bronze bearings of generous propostions needed to support the platter.
- The Model 15 motor conforms to the higest standards of silent running in a turntable.
- The turntable is driven by a 3-phase, brushless outrunner inductance motor with 8-pole Neodymium magnets and 3 integrated Hall position sensors. The electronic motor controller uses a high performance microporocessor, optimised for motor control. Closed loop speed control is implemented using a proportional plus (PI) algorithm. Fine pitch speed adjustment allows increments/decrements of +/- 0.01% of the selected speed. Speed ranges: 33.3, 45 & 78 RPM.
- A soft dust cover is provided to accomodate the turntable and arm, when not in use.
- Mains voltages available are 90-110V, 105-125V and 220-240V 50/60Hz. Please specify when ordering.
- Standard arm mountings suit all SME 9" and 10" arms.
- Dimensions: 428 x 378 x 176mm.
- Net weight: 18.5kg (40 lb).
- Shipping: 540 x 455 x 390mm.
- Weight approximately: 24.2kg (53lb).