What HFL Thinks
SME Series 300 Tonearm - It goes without saying that the pick-up arm on your turntable is a critical part to any vinyl replay system, it does such an important job and being able to set up your arm correctly is critical to getting the maximum sound quality from the grooves of your vinyl. SME are described as makers of the best pick-up arms in the world for very good reason, these are not just tone-arms but precision pieces of engineering allowing you to set up your arm and cartridge to get the best sound possible. Offering a wide range of alternatives there is something for everyone so please come in to HFL to experience an SME arm for yourself.
The Series 300 Pick-Up Arms are available in 4 models -
Model 309 - £1873
Model 309 GD - £2154
Model 310 - £1926
Model 312S - £3039
The Series 300 broadens the application of SME technology.
Although the unique one-piece magnesium tone-arm is used for the Series 300 Model 309, advanced metal techniques produce a fabricated arm of exceptional stiffness for the Series 300 Model 310 and 312 arms thus allowing a choice of three arm lengths to suit all decks.
The detachable magnesium headshell has a new style coupling, providing the convenience of rapid cartridge interchange without loss of rigidity.
Our designers can be justly proud of these models which offer a performance and manufacturing excellence unmatched by many more expensive models.
- Unique pressure die-cast magnesium shell detachable and interchangeable without disturbing cartridge or wiring.
- New design clamping arrangement ensures rigid junction with tone-arm.
- Internal constrained layer damps minute residual vibrations making tone-arm acoustically inert.
- Stainless steel cross shaft, ground and thread ground. Carried in massive yoke on 10mm precision ball races. Axis at record mean level to minimise warp-wow.
- Unique assembly gives high rigidity and allows bearings to be critically adjusted before tone-arm is fitted.
- Stainless steel vertical shaft, ground and thread ground, with integral 16mm diameter flange to couple shaft and yoke.
- 23mm diameter steel pillar, heat treated, ground and honed, carries two 17mm precision ball races, widely spaced to resist tilt.
- Anti-skate control operates through tension spring and filament. Dial corresponds with VTF and has positive OFF position.
- Lowering/raising control gives smooth positive action. Height of lift can be adjusted.
- Dual-lock base provides movement control with high rigidity.
- Tungsten-alloy balance weight carried on damped two-point suspension. Extra-low inertia design assists warp riding.
- Underslung weight housing corrects centre of gravity and provides non reflective tone-arm termination.
- Swivelling, damped output socket minimises vibration transmission in sub-chassis use.
- Reference lines on tone-arm facilitate VTA setting.
- Fine adjustment of horizontal tracking angle (HTA).
- New design alignment protractor sets HTA with great accuracy.
- Cartridge leads and internal wiring LCOFC litz.
- Balanced LCOFC audio lead with gold plated phono plugs.
- Effective Mass: 309; 9.5g 310; 9.7g 312; 12.0g
- Cartridge Balance Range: 309; 6g-17g 310; 6g-17g 312; 5g-14g
- Vertical Tracking Force: 309; 0g-2.5g 310; 0g-3g 312; 0g-3g
- Net Weight: 309; 717.0g 310; 720.0g 312; 782.0g
- Pivot Stylus Distance: 309; 232.2mm 310; 238.5mm 312; 308.8mm
- Pivot Spindle Centre Distance: 309; 213.4mm 310; 222.0g 312; 295.6mm