What HFL Thinks
Bryston BDA-3 External DAC - Coming from Canada Bryston make some of the greatest HiFi equipment on the planet, whether you want one of their legendary amps, the ultimate Multi-Channel Processor, a pre-amp or a way to play the latest 24 bit music, Bryston have got it covered and more. Please check back shortly as we write our thoughts on each of their products.
High Resolution Sound
Bryston’s new BDA-3 is our highest resolution D-to-A yet. A brand new decoding chipset can decode up to 384kHz / 32 bit PCM music and up to DSDx4 natively. Practically all digital source components can be connected. The new BDA-3 features 10 inputs including 4 HDMI, 2 Asynchronous USB, and S/PDIF over BNC, RCA, or Toslink optical inputs.
DSD & PCM
High resolution music downloads have smashed through the previous resolution limit of 192kHz/24 bit. Each format is processed in it’s native resolution preserving absolute bit-perfect signals all the way to our proprietary analog output section. Our custom re-clocking circuit engages all incoming PCM signals and strips off the embedded clock. We replace that information with our ultra high precision clock reducing jitter to nearly immeasurable levels.
Bryston’s analog section is completely free of integrated circuits (ICs) that limit the bandwidth and dynamic range of so many other DACs. Our proprietary analog circuits draw on decades of expertise building the world’s finest line level electronics and amplifiers.
EXTREME RESOLUTION D/A FOR MODERN SOURCES
- Fully discrete operational amplifiers create a high dynamic range / wide bandwidth output via balanced or unbalanced connectors
- PCM audio up to 192kHz/24 bit can be connected via AES/EBU, Toslinkor S/PDIF from traditional digital sources
- Computer-based music players, SACD players, Blu-ray, TV and more modern digital sources can pass up to DSD-512 and 384/32 PCM through Asynchronus USB or up to 192/24 PCM and SACD through the HDMI inputs
- Automate and control your BDA-3 via ethernet, RS232, USB, or DC trigger signals.
An unprecedented degree of versatility is designed into the BDA-3. Not only are USB and HDMI available interfaces for extremely high data rate music that audiophiles demand, but they ensure compatibility with high performance computer based music playback systems and combination stereo and home theater systems.
Movie enthusiasts without the appropriate space to dedicate to multi-channel home theater can connect Blu-Ray and DVD systems to the BDA-3 for high quality 2-channel PCM playback.
SACD collectors have a new upgrade path. The built-in decoders in most universal disc players leave room for improvement. Those equipped with HDMI outputs find never before heard detail, space and resolution when connected to the Bryston BDA-3.
The Bryston BDA-3 is a world class DAC (digital to analog converter) that is packed with the perfect mix of features making it an essential part of your digital audio chain. Use diverse audio sources such as Bryston's BDP digital music players, computers, music servers, and CD players to get the most accurate and superb sounding digital playback currently available. The BDA-3 is a magnificent DAC best suited for systems where high performance is desired.
The BDA-3 delivers superb sonic performance through re-sampling and re-clocking of the digital input signal. With the exception of user-selectable up-sampling, the BDA-3 doesn't convert anything to another format or re-sample at a non-native rate. The most notable difference between the BDA-2 and BDA-3, in addition to PCM playback capable of 384kHz/32 bit resolution, is that the BDA-3 is fully DSD enabled. The BDA-3 can decode up to DSD-256, through asynchronous USB inputs, and accepts SACD input via HDMI. The BDA-3 incorporates 10 separate inputs which include four 2-channel HDMI, asynchronous USB, AES/EBU, TOSLINK, and digital coax. Additionally, the network module which facilitates control via TCP/IP and RS-232 makes the BDA-3 a must for modern home automation.
- 4x HDMI, 2x USB 2.0 Type B, 2x S/PDIF (1x BNC, 1x RCA), 1x Optical (TOSLINK), 1x AES/EBU
- Outputs: HDMI, RCA, XLR
- Control: TCP/IP, IR, DC, RS-232
- Dual 32Bit AKM DAC IC's
- Discrete Class A analog output stage
- Independent analog and digital signal paths
- Independent power supplies
- Massive support for different PCM and DSD resolutions
- HDMI video pass-through with audio out (4K video pass-through)
- Available with silver or black faceplate
- 17” or 19” faceplate available
- Rack mountable option available (2U)
- BR2 remote control available (see Accessories in Other Products
- 3.63” H x 17” W x 11.12” D (17" Faceplate)
- 92.20mm H x 431.8mm W x 282.45mm D (431.8mm faceplate)
- 3.63” H x 19” W x 11.12” D (19" Faceplate)
- 92.20mm H (50.8mm W/O feet) H x 482.6mm W x 282.45mm D (482.6mm faceplate)
- Weight - 8.5 lb/3.9 kg